This is one of the most beautiful and important Romanesque churches of Verona. With its bell tower, cloister and the tower of the ancient abbey, it forms a striking complex. Construction on the basilica began in the 10th century and continued until the 14th century. The portal, decorated with 48 bronze tiles, is one of the masterpieces of medieval European sculpture: it portrays scenes from the Old and New Testament, and episodes in the life of Saint Zeno.
The crypt contains the body of the Saint, the patron of the city. There is also a polychromatic marble statue of the saint inside the church. The high altar has a stupendous triptych by Andrea Mantegna portraying the Madonna enthroned with saints and angels (1459).
The oldest bridge on the Adige River which supposedly dates back to the 1st century A.D., Ponte Pietra [Stone Bridge] represents the entire history of Verona. The two arches near the hills preserve the original stone structure built by the Romans, while the two central brick arches date back to the 16th century. The first arch on the left with tower was built by the Della Scala family in 1298. During Roman days the bridge granted access to the Theater and the temple on the hill.
On the parvis of the 12th century S. Maria Antica church are two funereal monuments of the Della Scala family, both with equestrian figures on top. The most important are the one dedicated to Cangrande, above the entrance of the church; the monument of Mastino II, to the left of the entrance; and, further back, the one dedicated to Cansignorio. Gothic art achieves its maximum expression in the Arches, with spires, columns, and bas-reliefs of astonishing elegance and perfection.
A superb example of military architecture, the castle was built by Cangrande II della Scala, who also lived there between 1354 and 1356. It is currently the site of the Civic Art Museum which houses Pisanello's Madonna of the Quail; paintings by Turone, Altichiero and Stefano da Verona; works by Mantegna (the Sacred Family is noteworthy) and the best Renaissance artists of Verona such as Liberale da Verona, N. Giolfino, D. Morone, G. M. Falconetto, Brusasorci, Caroto and G. dai Libri.
Also interesting are Crivelli's Madonna of the Passion, Francia's Sacred Conversation, and several paintings by Antonio Vivarini. A room hosts works by great masters from the 16th to the 18th century: Veronese, Tintoretto (The Concert, the Nursing Madonna, and the Visit to the Shepherds).
This 13th century home in via Cappello n. 23 is one of the most popular sites of Verona. According to legend, it was once owned by the Capulet family. The famous balcony, immortalized in Shakespeare's play, can be seen in the lovely inner courtyard.
Lago di Garda Magazine -
Via Comboni 42, 25010 Limone sul Garda (BS) - ITALY (P.Iva: 00678150988)